Sock!

I'm in Miami, Florida right now visiting my family for Winter Break. There are three knitters who come every year and we love to go to this amazing yarn shop: Anneke's Neadlework. That store is a knitter's dream. It has all sorts of yarn(and a whole wall of Noro) and great atmosphere. Now, we went there and then also went to a new yarn shop The Knitting Garden which is alright. It stocks good yarn but is not set up as well as I would have liked. You have to ask the store owner to get the needles for you which is very inconvenient. Nevertheless, I found some lovely sock yarn: Cherry Tree Hill.
This is my first time using this sock yarn and I love it. It is soft and squishy and comes in beautiful colors. I bought some fire orange colored yarn and have just started some toe up socks for myself. I finished the toe and am working through the foot.


I was not a fan of toe up socks for a very long time but I really like how this is going. It is also helpful because I don't know exactly how much yarn I've got and I want to use as much of it as possible. I also like the ease with which I can try the sock on to make sure it fits. I started the toe with a figure eight cast on, which is awkward to do but I like how it looks. I will be doing a short row heel because I love the look and it's so much easier than other heels in my opinion.
I have decided to make gifts for next year's Christmas(like how early I'm planning?) and have already gone through ravelry and found patterns for most people in my family and a few friends. I decided not to do any sweaters and to just stick to small things although I do plan on making a tank top. I'm going to start these projects when I get back to LA.
Besides reading and going in the pool, I have also been reading. I read Ayn Rand's Anthem which I really enjoyed. I know many people don't like her style but I read Fountainhead two years ago and loved it. I plan on reading more by her. Now I'm working through Proust: Remembrance of Things Past. It's slow going but I like it. It requires immense comprehension and I can't work with people talking around me. Instead, I have been listening to an album of Gregorian Chants that I got. I love Gregorian chants. People think they are boring or simple but I love the sound. I'm not a religious person at all, but these chants make me feel like I am in a great Cathedral in Europe(which are quite beautiful).
That's about it. I'd better get back to that knitting!


No comments: